Information technology careers have been around for a very long time and the number of positions an IT professional can fill has grown as technology has exploded all around the world. Now businesses need IT pros to take care of their computer systems, interpret data, design websites, and much more. Here are the top 10 information technology jobs that are out there today:
- Cloud architect – You have most likely heard of cloud computing and may even have some data stored on a cloud server somewhere. While the storage space that exists in that cloud out there in techno-land cannot be literally touched, it has to be given architecture and it has to be organized. The required education for this job is a bachelor’s degree and the salary is around $112,000 per year.
- IT consultant – This is one of the oldest professions in the IT industry. CNN ranked the IT consultant as number 13 on its list of the Best Jobs in America. The name itself is rather vague, but the talents that an IT consultant possesses are very useful. They help startups figure out the most economical and fastest ways to run their systems. They also evaluate systems and do the necessary research that not everyone really understands. A bachelor’s degree in computer science is typical, but it is recommended that IT consultants specialize in a specific niche to help them focus their career goals. The salary is around $96,400 per year.
- Computer forensic investigator – Think of this person as a computer investigator. It is also an interesting profession in that it involves identifying and evaluating information on computer systems that can be used for evidence. The required education is a degree in information security, cyber security, or computer forensics. Obtaining a certification from a computer examiner board is also useful. The salary is around $64,000
- Mobile app developer – This job is getting a lot of attention because businesses want to expand their reach to Internet users. Reaching mobile users is the way to do that. Practically everyone with a smart phone uses applications very heavily. Now businesses are relying on IT professionals with experience in this area. The required education is a bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or mobile computer fields. The salary is around $90,000 or more.
- Health IT specialist – This is a very important and blossoming field, especially with the health care system undergoing very large changes now and for the next year or so. Many hospitals and doctor’s offices are gradually moving toward electronic recordkeeping and this is increasing the demand for IT professionals. The required education usually does not require more than an associate decree or certification. Supervisor positions require a bachelor’s or master’s degree. The salary is around $45,000 per year.
- Web Developers – Web developers have been around for a very long time and they are considered the jacks of all trades. They create web applications, web pages, web content, but their skill set requires them to determine what the average web surfer wants and what makes a website operate well. They also must know how to optimize websites for mobile technology and much more. Many web developers are self-taught and win positions through their portfolios. Some of them have degrees. The average salary is around $90,000 per year.
These are just some of the jobs that IT professionals are finding success in and the demand for these positions is growing. Other popular information technology careers include software engineer, data modeler, and information technology vendor manager. As the demand for technology grows, so will the popularity of the many IT careers that are out there.